I stumbled upon this little gem online one day, in my quest to start producing more milk for Lulu. (PPD had taken it’s toll and my supply had dipped way way way low. I was determined to get her off of formula supplementation and back on my milk, especially after a rocky rough beginning of our breastfeeding journey that involved lip ties and nipple shields and severe pain and bleeding and donor milk. I simply wasn’t going to give up.
Along with fenugreek and lots of pumping, nursing on demand and water, I added THESE bad boys to my daily routine. They are seriously crazy easy to make and who really needs an excuse to nosh on peanut butter and chocolate? C’mon now! So, I added a bit of my own flair into this insanely easy recipe and wanted to share it with all of my breastfeeding readers. (or future breastfeeding readers. Or maybe you know someone who you want to share this link with.) This recipe contains ingredients packed with protein, DHA Omega fatty acids and plenty of stuff to help up your milk production when combined with regular nursing and/or pumping. 🙂
NO BAKE LACTATION BALLS:
- 1 Cup oats (old fashioned or instant.)
- 1/2 Cup peanut or other nut butter (I use sunflower seed butter)
- 1/2 Cup honey
- 1/2 Cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 Cup coconut flakes (I use toasted for an extra crunch.)
- 1/2 Cup ground flax seed (flaxmeal) *
- 1/2 Cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 TBS brewers yeast *
- 1 TBS chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla
1) Mix all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl
2) Refrigerate for an hour so mixture is not so sticky and will be easier to shape into balls.
3)Roll into bite-sized balls. If you would like, you can roll the balls into crushed peanuts or more coconut flakes so they are not quite so sticky on your fingers.)
4)Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
* Flax seeds (flax meal) and Brewers Yeast are both galactagogues which aide in breast milk production.
Make it a habit to grab one or two to nosh on every time you sit to pump or nurse your little one! Don;t forget your water as well!
Happy Nursing! ❤